I was mindlessly scrolling through my Instagram feed last week when I came across a picture of Lucy Hale rocking a cranberry eye for one of her events. It was love at first sight, and I knew I had to recreate her look! Normally when I think of cranberry eyes, autumn automatically comes to my mind. However, this look is so fresh and warm that it’s absolutely perfect for spring! I love the way it highlights the eyes and makes them pop. It was also very easy to recreate this look using only drugstore/affordable products.
The products I used to create this look are the Prestige Primed & Ready Eye Primer ($10), the Wet n Wild Au Naturel “Nude Awakening” palette ($6), the Milani Baked Eyeshadow in “I Heart You” ($4), the Covergirl Full Lash Bloom mascara ($7), the L’Oreal Infallible Gel Lacquer Liner 24H ($8), the ColourPop Créme Gel Liner in “Swerve” ($5), and the Milani Lipstick in “Nude Créme” ($5). Don’t get me wrong, I love my high end palettes very much, but being able to create an entire eye (and lip) look for under $50? Swoon.
If you’re interested in seeing how I did this look from start to finish, take a peek at my video below!
Searching for the right shade of foundation can be a pain for anyone. As someone who has had paper white skin for as long as I can remember, it can be frustrating blindly dropping $40 on a foundation that doesn’t blend well with your skin. Luckily, I was able to find five affordable (key word here) drugstore foundations for those who have the hard-to-match porcelain skin tone.
These are listed in order of coverage, starting with light coverage, since everyone has different needs when it comes to their foundation. I chose these foundations because of their lasting-power and color; I do not own a foundation lightener, so having the foundations be a match straight out of the bottle is an absolute must for me.
1. Maybelline Dream Fresh 8‑in‑1 Beauty Balm Skin Perfector in “Light” This one may be cheating a bit since it is not a foundation. It is a tinted BB cream. This BB cream appears a bit orange coming out of the bottle, but once blended in, it isn’t noticeable at all. Over the summer, I tend to reach for lighter coverage because it is very hot and humid where I live. This BB cream won’t provide much coverage, but it will even out your skin tone a bit. I like that it has SPF built in just in case I forget apply SPF moisturizer to my face. Once paired with concealer, I think it is just the right amount of coverage for me, especially over the summer. Nothing worse than feeling all of your makeup sweating off! If you’re looking for a more “flawless” finish, however, I would suggest trying one of the other foundations listed here.
2. Almay Truly Lasting Color Makeup in “Ivory” This is a great light to medium coverage foundation. I wore this foundation all day once without applying a primer, and it stayed put all day. I think the color is great for fair skin tones; I like that it has peach undertones as opposed to yellow undertones. It evens out the skin tone beautifully. I also really love the packaging. Foundations that come in pump forms are life savers! It ensures you get the right amount of product each time. The one thing I don’t like about this foundation is the smell. It smells somewhat like glue or something of the sort. The smell fades away after applying, but the initial scent is unpleasant. However, it is not a deal-breaker as I continue to use this foundation often.
3. Maybelline Fit Me! Matte + Poreless Foundation in “Porcelain” This foundation is the “middleman” because it is versatile. The consistency is thin, which allows you to build up to the coverage you want. The color fits well even though it has yellow undertones – it balances out the redness. Out of all the foundations listed here, it is the cheapest. It retails for about $6. They also have a “Dewy + Smooth” version for those who prefer a little glow, but I prefer a matte finish.
4. L’Oréal Infallible Pro-Matte 24HR Foundation in “Classic Ivory” I have been using this foundation the longest out of the whole batch. The color is great, it is long lasting, and it is full coverage. I reach for this foundation when I know I will be out all night because it’s a very trustworthy foundation. This is on the pricier end of drugstore products. This foundation retails for about $11-$12, but I do think it is worth it if you’re looking for something reliable.
5. Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation in “Light Porcelain” I’m convinced that this is the thickest foundation I’ve ever seen. It is a mousse, so it has a whipped and creamy texture. This is the epitome of a flawless finish, as it really does cover up everything. It covers up any scarring that I have, so I really only have to use concealer under my eyes and around my nose. The one thing I don’t like about this foundation is how it reacts with my smile lines. I have smile lines no matter what foundation or powder I use, but this foundation really accentuates them. I do really love the matte finish of this foundation, however, and I think it is an awesome full-coverage foundation all around.
I hope this article was helpful for all you fair-skinned lovelies out there (and even for those who aren’t, I still highly recommend these foundations!) What are some of your favorite foundations?
I’ve been having a lot of fun with color lately, but this week I thought I’d scale back and share a more natural look. This is a type of look that I wear a lot because it is more of an everyday look. Brown eyeshadow looks are perfect for those with blue and green eyes. The neutrals accentuate your eyes just enough to allow your natural color to pop, but they blend in with the rest of your features so as not to steal the show.
I created this look using the Urban Decay Naked palette. The colors I used are Buck, Sidecar, Smog, Virgin, and Hustle. I think all the colors in this palette are gorgeous; it’s definitely an oldie but a goodie. I do experience more fall out with these shadows than I do with some of my other palettes, but that’s a small setback. It is a beautiful neutral palette, perfect to have in your everyday collection.
If you’re interested in seeing how I created this look, take a peek at my latest video!